Friday, November 21, 2008

The shows pt1

So the day came. February 20, 1997. Roseland Ballroom. One of our friends parents drove us, I believe another picked us up, still just the kids from school. So we're at the show, enjoying it a lot. I ran into one of the only cool kids from the summer camp i had been attending for many years. He was there with the best counselor I ever had (still in contact to this day), hung out with them a bit. Counselor got kicked in the face by the singer of orange 9mm while they were playing. the kid, named rob weil, kept crowd surfing and coming back, i thought that was crazy. so the show continued, i moshed for the first time ever, with alex, as face to face started playing disconnected. so the show ended, we all went home, siked on the show.

went to camp that year, some of the older kids were into 'punk', but thats really it. the kids my age were into numetal, they liked VOD a lot (all the kids were from long island). a bunch said theyw ere going to see vod with a band i had actually heard of (but didnt know), fahrenheit 451, at irving plaza the day after camp ended. i said i'd come along, live music seemed to interest me.

so i got to the show and couldnt find any of them. while i know that my parents picked me up from the show, i may have taken the subway to it, and probably did. so i was by myself, at a huge hardcore show at irving plaza, and new no bands or anything. somehow i ended up right up front at the front of the pit, while some spin kicks landed on my arm, it was nothing except a rush.

much later that year, a bunch of my friends said they were going to go to see the toasters and ruder than you at the wetlands after christmas. i convinced my sister to take me and attend the show as well, as she was in town for the holidays. so she did. the show was awesome.

the next show was alex's bands first show, president lemon, at skaters world. after going to a few sw shows and another irving plaza show, my friends and i all went to a show that alex had some hand in at some point...at abc no rio. so within 7 shows, i had gone from Roseland Ballroom...to ABC No Rio. looking back, I think that's pretty impressive. at abc, the show was '82 gremlin, useless ID, and distraught.

our parents continued to drive us to shows at skaters world, with us sometimes getting to shows in the city and our parents picking us up from them, until the oldest of us started driving, but that wasnt for a while.

No comments: