Saturday, April 4, 2009

the get up kids at the troubadour

Got to this show with a few people on line, hoped no one would snag my expected spot on the stage right side nook, and no one did, so i had a great spot. The couple next to me had driven from tucson for the show and got there just a little after I had, and were driving back, that night. The opening band's drums and keyboard were RIGHT in front of us.

Miniature Tigers opened up, can't really explain their sound but it was...pleasant. I enjoyed them and the drummer made me laugh. Would see again. They are opening up the upcoming east coast kevin devine tour, so check them out if you are going.

The Get Up Kids came on next, with Jim standing RIGHT in front of us, and James on the other side looking like he had just gotten out of bed. The band seemed into it and excited, and played tight, joking with each other and the audience. I thought anne arbour was on the setlist but when i realized it wasn't 2-3 songs in, i started yelling it...and after doing that for a few songs suptic said, 'you have to ask matt' and he tried getting matt's attention but couldn't, so he said into his mic, 'matt, this young man has a request' and then...they played it. 2/2 on getting them to play that song, excellent. Great time.

Setlist, in order:

Holiday
The One you want
No Love
Valentine
Up on the Roof
Never be Alone
Woodson
Red Letter Day
Anne Arbour (!!!!!!!!)
Out of Reach
Martyr Me
CLose to Home
Coming Clean
Campfire Kansas
Holy Roman
I'm A Loner Dottie, A Rebel
ten minutes
walking on a wire

-encore break-
Close to me (the cure)
man of conviction
action and action
ass pike
my apology
don't hate me
i'll catch you

No comments: