Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ben Weasel and Danny Vapid at Reggie's

The Facts: Ben Weasel recruited Danny Vapid to play the entire My Brain Hurts screeching weasel album. I had always said that if sw got back together i probably wouldn't go...since i really only knew one album, which was MBH. So when i heard this, i was excited.

The Idea: get extra tickets and sell them to cover the airfare and maybe hotel.

The plan: there was none. I kept asking Mandi, who was coming from jersey, what she was doing hotelwise etc. refusing to get back to me for over a month, I took things into my own hands, for myself, about 3 days before I left.

The Hotel: The Chicago Hilton (HOTWIRE!), excellent, excellent. I couldn't believe anything anything about it. There was hardly any line to check in (at 1130pm). They gave me a room with a king bed. I went up to the 13th floor, and searched for my room, 1304. i went down a side hallway, and kept walking, towards the double doors at the end (of course that wasnt my room). Looking at the numbers on the doors, until i was at the double doors....numbered #1304. I stepped in. King Murphy bed on the right with down pillows, luxuriously comfortable bedding. A couch (pull out bed) , nice chair and coffee table to the left. Mini bar (i refused the key), complete bar area. Con: only a shower and not a giant bathtub. I went to the indoor pool on the 8th floor the next day, nice. When sean and mandi got there they didnt want to knock on the door because they thought i was lying.

The Lead-Up: I woke up friday morning, checked out the pool, walked around the loop area. The entire time i was thinking of ferris bueller and singing songs from it to myself. I walked directly to the sears tower just to see if i could, and then i hopped on an 'el' train and then switched and ended up at Wrigley Field. I got a hot dog at the 7-11 across the street as i had nothing else to eat and was hungry. it was about 1020 and i thought the game started at 1205. I bought a ticket at the gate and was directed to walk right in. I had to walk through a bar, and then was in the hallways...I decided I wanted to see the field of a famed park such as this as soon as possible, and walked out. There weren't many people out, a group of blue and/or white shirted people in left field, a guy in a pale green shirt, and me. I walked directly to the visiting bullpen where the pitcher was warming up. I got behind him to see all the movement. It was real cool. Got a few foul balls. Then the group of people in left field started breaking up, i realized they were the ushers. One came to the section i was in, and we made small talk, he said he was surprised they let me to the seats, i didnt realize he meant because the field was closed. hahaha. the game was cool, i had a good time. i left in the middle, swam, and went to the show.

The Show: Got there what i thought was late, apparently wasnt, able to grab a spot against the stage.

The Repellents: The singer sounded like the guy from osker. into it

The Chinese Telephones : also awesome! better than the band before

The Jetty Boys : Also awesome.

Ben Weasel: got crushed against the stage, played my brain hurts through, it ruled. also played this aint hawaii, sunshine, falling apart, and more. i had to leave at some point after the album because i felt i was going to pass out, and then i almost did.

the show the next day was pretty much the same. i got a good spot to watch from, and at one point during the sceince of myth ben and i shared a mo' and when he went into the verse he fucked up and i kept singing and he smiled. IT WUZ SO KOOL.

anyway, back at the hotel, finally ate for the second time , and it was the most delicious turkey club & fruit ever. got alright sleep. mandi and sean lovett got there around 730am, they slept, i swam and read a bit. got outside and mandi wouldnt stop complaining, cool. got a shitty shitty shitty motel in niles, il, far, far away from anything useful. but it was still funny. 3 people to a king sized bed sleeping the wrong way, tv on to drown out the sound of people fucking, awesome. ha


woke up at 5am and sean drove me to the airport.

No comments: